Finding a home that you can see yourself in for the next five to twenty-five years is a great feeling.
Don’t let that feeling cloud your judgment and leave you with unexpected issues after the closing.
|Here are a few ideas from Century21.com to consider before you buy:1. Hire an expert to do your own home inspections and attend them if possible.2. Evaluate possible repairs/immediate improvements. Ask the seller to repair them or include the cost into your bidding.
3. Purchase an environmental report.
4. Know all of the vital systems that connect to the house (electrical, sewage, heating, air conditioning, garbage disposal, and water.) Investigate the ins and outs of these systems.
5. Perform an energy audit. Confirm that your budget will match what your new home is going to cost on a monthly basis.
6. Examine potential neighborhoods with a 24 hour perspective. Are there any dogs howling late at night? Again be sure there are no regular surprises.
7. Do multiple practice commutes. One day is not enough time to judge the next 5+ years of driving to work.
8. Consider your furniture, electronics and appliances. Will they fit into the new home or will you need to purchase new home furnishings?
9. Know the local political landscape. Are there any issues you should know about? Make sure you understand how utilities, schools and public services are funded.
10. Research the local area to understand its economics, climate, and variables that will be part of your long-term lifestyle.
If you’re considering a move, or hear that any family, friends, neighbors or colleagues are, please feel free to contact me.
© 2011 Century 21 Real Estate LLC. An Equal Opportunity Company. Equal Housing Opportunity.
CENTURY 21® is a registered trademark licensed to Century 21 Real Estate LLC. Each CENTURY 21 office
As always, please feel free to contact Mackenzie with your individual/specific questions regarding your South Lake Tahoe home!
is independently owned and operated. All rights reserved.